Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
Search
View: 585|Reply: 6

[Untreated] CPU-Exploit "Spectre" and "Meltdown": will Elephone react?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Sharp eyesThe best member

Post time 2018-1-8 15:48:23 | Show all posts |Read mode

As most of you around the world will have noticed, there's a new exploit discovered in nearly all modern CPU's, that can be abused to get access to protected and sensitive memory-areas, where e.g. kryptographic data and passwords are stored, and that can grant access to memory-areas used by other applications.

The possible forms of attacking and abusing this exploit are called 'Spectre' and 'Meltdown'.

As this does not only concern desktop-CPU's, but just as well modern ARM-CPUs, which are used in all Android-Devices, I am asking Elephone about their stance about this.

Will Elephone AT LEAST service their devices currently on sale with the respective Android-Security-Patch, once it's available?
Will Elephone maybe even service their devices sold during the last two years (important for me as owner of P9000 and M3)?

Comments

Good thread! I'm interested in some feedback from Elephone on this one.  Post time 2018-1-10 10:31 PM

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits

Sharp eyes

Post time 2018-1-9 20:50:36 | Show all posts
They don't care. Don't expect any updates. I own an elephone s7 which they promised android 7.1.1 and when they released it the phone became garbage! It started random rebooting which never stopped and their answer was don't install this version of android. They never cared to fix it.
Reply Support 2 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2018-1-12 02:50:50 | Show all posts
Perhaps we should differentiate between 'security patch' updates, and 'feature' updates.

The S8 is their current flagship, so you'd hope that Elephone would roll out Android 8.0 to it.
However, that would be a 'feature' update.  While I will be pretty disappointed if they don't upgrade, the device would still be perfectly usable without it.

'Security patch' updates are a totally different matter however. Phones are computers now - and they should be patched in the same way. Phones are used for Banking, Shopping, Email etc. etc.
Without timely security updates the device will very quickly become vulnerable to all sorts of exploits, and will therefore become not suitable for use.

As a new Elephone user (S8), I guess in the immediate short term I will have to wait and see what Elephone do.

It doesn't matter how good their new devices are - Elephone still have to support existing customers, otherwise they just won't have a sustainable business.
That is because I, like many others, will purchase only one Elephone device; then will get frustrated at no security updates and support; and so then never buy from Elephone again.

The S8 is near stock Android - so how difficult can it be to push out Google's monthly security updates?
This is an opportunity for Elephone to differentiate themselves from their budget competitors.

Despite the S8 being a excellent phone, this much is simple - if they don't provide security updates, I won't go anywhere near Elephone again!
And that is a customer lost - a customer who would purchase from them again if only they did the basics right.
Why is it so difficult for many companies to understand this?
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2018-1-9 01:09:34 | Show all posts
Hi All,

New Elephone user here - I have owned an S8 for a couple of months - and on the whole it's a nice device.

However the S8 is currently running at Android Security Patch level of 'Sept 2017'.  This is 3 to 4 months behind current Android security patch levels.

I hope someone from Elephone is reading this and takes notice!  Elephone need to take security seriously, otherwise their devices cannot be relied upon.

I really like the S8, but unless the monthly Android security updates are rolled out in a timely manner, then the S8 will be my first and LAST Elephone device - which is a shame.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Guru

Credits

Star of honorActive starLucky StarSharp eyesactive users

Post time 2018-1-10 22:31:02 | Show all posts
InOffThePost replied at 2018-1-8 05:09 PM
Hi All,

New Elephone user here - I have owned an S8 for a couple of months - and on the whole it's  ...

Hi InOffThePost,
don't expect frequent security patch updates. the low budget phone company doesn't provide frequent updates... unfortunately https://bbs.elephone.hk/forum.ph ... 8&fromuid=90419

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Sharp eyesThe best member

Author| Post time 2018-1-11 14:56:16 | Show all posts
Does any manufacurer - low budget or not - provide frequent updates? Except Google?

You can't even expect more than a handful of updates even when spending a thousand dollars for a Samung-Flagship.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

share :
To Top