Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
Search
View: 4719|Reply: 154

What are your opinions of your own Elephone s8 Good / Bad ?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-10-6 22:04:51 | Show all posts |Read mode
What are your opinions of your own Elephone s8 Good / Bad ?

How well does your phone work ?

Build quality ?

Does it meet your expectations ?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-10-28 17:53:54 | Show all posts
If you look at all the mobile phone forums, everyone always complaining about their new phone, even iPhone 8 and Samsung S8.  Here on the Elephone forum we are all doing the same. Big difference though is cost is much less. You can dismiss complaints about missing headphone jack, LED notification, no micro SD facility etc because phone was advertised as such. I feel sorry for the customers that have received phones with case defects, like scratches and bubbled backs. This is a quality control issue and Elephone should really make sure these phones  do not find their way into the shops. Software defects are harder to detect, and also more difficult to determine whether the problem is caused by apps, Andoid OS or operator error. In my case I am not experiencing any of the software problems people are having. In this case my Elephone is working properly and therefore I can say Elephone have designed a good phone free of major faults. The people on this forum may have received defective units and as such need to be replaced. It is not fair to say the Elephone S8 design is crap. I had to return my Note 3 which had a pink screen and my Note 4 because the camera would not focus unless I tapped in on the table! Same goes for battery life. There are too many variables here, and for people to be upset because the battery does not last 24 hours is ridiculous. I have NEVER had a phone where the battery lasts 24 hours. Of course, it will if you don’t use it! I can only compare with my Samsung Note 4. For this I would say using S8 with same apps and for identical use with Note 4 the batteries lasts about the same, in my case 16 hours. I think no mobile phone is perfect. There will always be compromises which is why I have given up buying expensive Samsungs or iPhones. It is easier to live with the compromise when the phone costs less. The Elephone has been my first experience with a Chinese phone. I would say for me the compromise is perfectly acceptable and I will be buying Chinese from now on.
Reply Support 2 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-10-25 14:26:35 | Show all posts
Edited by Vangelo at 2017-10-25 03:28 PM

Got mine shipped to UK (GearBest) I have had it exactly for a week. Arrived perfect condition.....no issues with screen protector. I chose black.
My previous phone was Samsung Note 4. They are both identical size, but Screen on S8 is huge by comparison.

Resolution of screen is excellent. At first I thought the colours were washed out vs Samsung AMOLED, but then discovered Miravision in S8 display which has adjustments that actually made me prefer to Amoled. The screen cannot be faulted.

I cant complain about camera focus. I had Note 3 which was terrible and Note 4 a bit better. There was recent update on S8 which seems to have improved. Also, there are many settings in camera menu which allows you to set contrast, saturation, sharpness, etc.

Have not tried video.

I dont like Google Keyboard and have changed to ai.type.
I also dont like stock launcher and have always used GO LAUNCHER which works fine, apart from losing widgets on reboot, but Note did same on occassion.

Not having notification light is not a big deal to me.

Speaker is ok......Samsung maybe a bit better, but again, not a deal breaker.
S8 faster than Note 4 and feels it. Antutu Benschmark 68k (note) vs 83k!

I use Samsung for cycling and connect to my heart rate monitor via ANT+.  S8 does not have ANT, so need to use Blutooth which is not as reliable. This is only negative for me, but for the cost I cant complain.

Battery life initially seemed poor (as it was on all the time) but has now settled to 16 hours which was better than my Note 4. First time I have bought phone with sealed battery. Lets see how long it lasts. At least Note 4 replaceable, which I had to do after 2 years.
Many people aways find negatives with new phone. My Note 4 was the same and everyone complained about gap between screen & body......some said they coud get credit card into the gap, so everyone started sending their phones back!

All in all, very pleased. Well done China & Elephone. Samsung.......watch out!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-10-24 21:56:06 | Show all posts
I just recieved mine (black one). I am positively surprised.
The screen is very sharp and bright enough. The build quality is surprisingly good. Only the screenprotector has two small bubbles right on the edges but it is not bad.

I performed all OTAs and installed all the apps I usually use. The system performance is snappy. Battery performance is unknown since I just got it obiously.

The camera does not focus super quick but it works for my needs. The pictures are sharp but seem to be a bit overexposed (too bright). I hope this gets tweaked a bit still. It could be fixed by third party apps in the worst case tough.

I did use a xiaomi Mi5 as main phone so far meaning the S8 has to compare to a device from a higher price bracket. It does compare very well though.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-10-14 16:53:56 | Show all posts
You wrong. I repeat (with my terrible english):  Your style it's a nazi and suspect style.
We will, in the next days, the youtube unpacking and review.
The trouble in the corner it seem a production defect like showed in a specific video in You tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flfaDeIn2Wk

3:25:00
The speaker say "It's a production defect..."

Elephone starts as usual...
Reply Support 0 Not support 2

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time Yesterday 07:49 AM | Show all posts
Here is my Personal experience with the S8 4G in contrast with everything that you see online in terms of reviews. Also I have posted this in the review section with 3 star and guess what-it's there. Guess elephone don't want bad reviews:
1.Fast- not really. I had to install a launcher and turn off all the animations to get it to be bearable.
2.Fast fingerprint reader: Not Really. Also not that great either as it only works half the time.
3.Great camera: Sure. If you have the time to change the exposure to ISO100 every time you use it, and for some reason it doesn't save that setting. Also the video mode is absolutely brutal as it's either trying to focus all the time or not at all. Auto focus for video is practically nonexistent.
4.Although it's advertising integrated audio amp, it's practically useless and it actually gets worse if you enable the various sound enhancements that are in the menu
5.NO LED NOTIFICATION-not that it matters for most people, but having to turn on the screen every time you hear it ring will drain the battery a lot because of the huge screen. Not to mention that you might actually loose notifications if you have it on mute because there is no visual feedback
6.Laggy Keyboard-even with 3rd party apps
7.Using the home button to navigate is painful. You're better off with the on screen buttons
8.Powerful Speakers-Not Really. Loads of highs. Nokia N95 Had waaaay better speakers and that was over 10 years ago

Final opinion:
For the price is a nice phone. with a bit of tweaking in terms of launchers and replacing certain stock apps the phone is usable.
BUT-Don't believe all the youtube reviews like I did. They are deceiving at best.

Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Information Ombudsman

Explorer

Credits

Christmas stockingactive users

QQ
Post time 2017-11-14 15:28:58 | Show all posts

our developers are working on it are we are looking for the bugs to solve. Can you please share the problems you are facing?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-11-13 23:57:33 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
I am very happy with my new S8. But I am currently searching looking for PDF version of an S8 manual to download. I've searched the main website and on this forum with no luck. Can anyone help me?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-10-30 08:00:14 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Any chance we could get something to allow the use of the front camera flash as a notification LED?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-10-21 01:24:02 | Show all posts
Hi All,
Got my phone this week (Gearbest) and I must say so far soo good.
I'm happy with my purchase. Apart from the camera issue I haven't noticed any of the faults others are having.
I've installed many apps from play store without any problem. So far I've had to charge it every other day.
Then again i'm not a heavy user or perhaps i'm just lucky.
As it stands the only thing I can find to complain about is the fact that the screen protector is not on properly.......
I'll report other findings as and well I come across them.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-10-13 00:37:42 | Show all posts
Don't mind him.
They've sent him a bad unit and now he's telling everyone how bad the S8 is. It's only because he's frustrated with the lack of service he's getting. I really think GearBest or Ele should send him a new unit but he shouldn't be telling everyone how bad the S8 is because it makes no sense.
Mine looks perfect and works awesome. Some little quirks perhaps but that's just software and can be solved.
For $240 this is the best phone I've ever had! The screen is gorgeous and the build quality is great.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-10-7 03:22:41 | Show all posts
Edited by Smith at 2017-10-7 03:33 AM

When it arrives, I'll tell you! Travel,travel,2.sept.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2017-10-7 03:48:47 | Show all posts
Edited by doobd at 2017-10-7 10:18 PM

---------------

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-10-7 16:23:18 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
That being one of the problems. The screen goes skits and thinks it's being pressed when it's not. Social media videos are only shown in low quality 180p The camera is slooooow to focus. Not like a split second to long. But a good  couple of seconds to long. The battery is shockingly bad. I am a moderste user and I need to charge it in the afternoon. I am constantly using 3.5 GB of ram even when it's been factory  I reset with minimal apps added and none being used. Supposedly elephone and gearbest has quality controlled this phone but I have damage under the "glass" rear cover on three corners and the back cover is lifting from one corner. The WiFi is shoddy. If I am in my bedroom it shows a strong connection but is again sooooo sloooooooow. The back is also a grease magnet to the point it might as well have been made with a matt finish. And.to be honest the screen is no better than my redmi 4 prime I had previously. Even the fitted screen protector is smaller than the screen! The software is laggy and the UI crashes constantly. Poor all round. Absolute crap.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-10-7 22:36:58 | Show all posts
Ewawowa replied at 2017-10-7 04:23 PM
That being one of the problems. The screen goes skits and thinks it's being pressed when it's not. S ...

Ewawowa : is it so bad? I do not want to believe..

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-10-7 23:03:16 | Show all posts
Ewawowa replied at 2017-10-7 04:23 PM
That being one of the problems. The screen goes skits and thinks it's being pressed when it's not. S ...

it is the same shit.

In every app, video and the audio does not play. for example, in whatsapp no audio play and the app crashes... bloomberg app, live video no reaction and app crashes and so on... I am very unsatisfied... Quality no way.... no good coordination between hardware and software. Sorry Elephone bad product

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Veteran

Credits

Lucky StarSharp eyesactive users

Post time 2017-10-8 02:02:04 | Show all posts
Ewawowa replied at 2017-10-7 08:23 AM

you don't sound very happy with your new phone

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Veteran

Credits

Post time 2017-10-8 05:26:17 | Show all posts
doobd replied at 2017-10-7 04:08 PM
Ok it seems all the great reviews on youtube by supposidly intelligent people like Mrwhosetheboss  s ...

bye bye i guess...

i'm not sure if vernee is up to giving you a different experience than what elephone does on average

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-10-8 14:59:49 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Only me that's got one then?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Veteran

Credits

Post time 2017-10-8 18:59:19 | Show all posts
Ewawowa replied at 2017-10-8 06:59 AM
Only me that's got one then?

you're among the first one with a S8 here on the forum it seems.

you're probably not the only one that got the S8, but maybe the first one that ran in to trouble and joined the forum to find some solution.

Maybe you can check the warranty with the seller, and see if you can get a replacement

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

share :
To Top